"Maybe he's beginning to like me" - Day 41

I rolled over bleary eyes to slam the alarm off at 6.30 this morning.

It was the first day back at school, for both J and I. On this day it was B's day off and day in his stable - Limited turnout over winter to preserve the fields prevents him from being turned out every single day. During the spring/summer he will have daily turnout and even stay out over night occasionally.

After finishing a fantastic and fun first day back after the holidays I prepared J for the worst.

I prepared J that B may be in a foul mood.

Can horses change moods I hear you ask?

Oh indeed they can.

Mares are typically known for their mood swings - a bit like me you may well be thinking. You're not wrong.

Similar to us females the Mares often have an fluctuation of hormones when they are in season. Just like us humans Mares can also suffer from hormone imbalances which can affect their mood and behaviours.

Geldings (male horses which have been castrated) are generally known for having a more placid temperament.

B however has not been a typical gelding thus far.

He is known at the yard for often having his grumpy ears on - where his ears are pinned right back.

When B has his ears back it is always wise to approach with caution.

Surprisingly B was in a great mood. He greeted us with a nicker (almost like a small vibrating purring sound from the back of his throat).



B came to greet us at the gate and put his head down so we could pet him.

I have a soft spot for B's soft spot at the end of his nose.

I will often ask B to 'give me a kiss' and today he did. Where he leans his head towards me and allows me to kiss his nose.

Today B even smiled.

Humans think that horses smile when they curl their top lip towards their nostrils and bare their teeth. This is actually quite a sophisticated movement from these amazing creatures called the Flehmen Response.

The flehmen response increases the flow of air through the nostrils, which brings the scent openings behind the incisors on the upper palette to the onerously organ. This is seem more in males than females, especially stallions. Perfumes and lotions on human hands can cause horses to curl their upper lip.

It can also be said that some horses may bare their teeth as a last resort to threat if there is no unusual scent or stimuli.

I would like to think that B is just beginning to like me.

Let's see all your pictures of smiling horses.

KJB
xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good News! - Day 65

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner - Day 150