Jumping for Joy - Day 48

The last few days have been challenging to say the least.

We have had what I call an 'ADHD Weekend'.

J has been particularly hyperactive this weekend which comes across as distracted, unfocussed, bolshy, rude, and down right horrible to be around.

Additional needs sometimes suck!

J said he couldn't concentrate as his head was full.

J was terrible towards B.

Flapping, aggressive in tone and body language.

I was disgusted.

Sunday was breaking point.

I almost cried to a dear friend while others looked on from the fence.

J wasn't listening. He was, in my opinion, being unfair to B.

B was unresponsive.

B was backing up, refusing to go in one way or the other.

I told J to get off and he couldn't ride.

A trusted voice at the yard told me the saddle was still unfit for purpose which I knew deep down.

I felt embarrassed.

I felt lost.

I considered quitting for the first time.

This evening however I jumped for joy as did J. He rode B bareback after all the problems we have been having with the saddle. I have called the saddler and he is coming out again on the 18th January.

So bareback it is.

We have been working in the round pen (the circular pen generally used for lunging).

J has been working on 'checking' B when he goes to put his head down or when B backs up refusing to go forwards. J has also been working on a slight squeeze of the legs instead of flappy pony club kicks and softer hands when he has contact.

This evening J went into the main rubber school which is a larger rectangular arena with rubber shavings over the floor instead of sand. B has been slightly spooky in this school which ALWAYS makes me apprehensive. I have been working on keeping calm and slowing my heartrate and breathing down so I am not projecting onto B or J for that matter.

J kept on with the tight turns and forgetting to leg on towards the jump.

Against all odds J persevered.

Again and again he turned that pony in towards the jump.

Again and again he clicked him into trot holding B back from transitioning into canter.

Eventually after a few more times than I care to count he trotted B over the low jump and we both cheered for joy at this milestone.

Hurrah!

I saw the future right there and then.

A beautiful friendship of mutual respect and an undeniable natural talent which with a little nurturing could lead to a career with the things he loves most - horses.

J's first response to my proud cheers was that I hadn't filmed it!!!

First world problems.

J refused to dismount and wanted to stay on his pony as long as possible. I encouraged him to take B back into the warmth and end the session on a good note.






What would you suggest for J to work on while riding bareback?

KJB
xxx

NB: Saddler returns on the 18th!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Maybe he's beginning to like me" - Day 41

Good News! - Day 65

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner - Day 150