Hand in hand - Day 43

In a bid to aid B's digestion problems we have been hand grazing him on his stable days.

By hand grazing I mean we literally put a head collar and lead rope on him and walk to some grass then stand with him as he munches which he can munch as much as he can in 20-30 mins.




J finds this challenging for several reasons.

Namely B's strength. He has almost pulled me over a few times so I can't blame him on that front.

J struggles to focus at the best of times and easily becomes distracted, especially if there are other children at the yard.

I find Hand grazing peaceful and a quiet time whereas J wants to laugh and call out to others and chats constantly to B and at a volume which could cause an avalanche.

It's no wonder B has him grumpy ears on - he's simply blocking out the noise.

This isn't something which only occurs at the yard J struggles with this at school. Only this week were the parents of his class invited in for a parents morning. I enjoyed sitting with him and his peers learning about the Pharos and seeing how J interacts with his friends.

Even though the teacher and teaching assistant were present, along with other parents, J was still distracted with all the instructions and found it a task to focus in order to write a complete sentence. He had excellent ideas but struggled to believe in himself that he could write it down.

In addition to J's focus he suffers with Dyspraxia, the limb coordination and cognitive disorder. This means that J often appears clumsy as he struggles with balance and he has more aches and pains than the average child - even gripping a pencil tires him.

Image result for dyspraxia brain image
Image courtesy of Google Search
It  can be really disheartening to hear that J feels so rubbish about himself.

It can be really frustrating too.

That must sound harsh but I know how much he is capable of and when I see him having a tantrum (yes a toddler meltdown at almost 10) saying 'I cant do it' and 'why is always me who can't do things' I take my time and show him compassion that he can do things. It's hard when he shouts at me in his frustration.

There have been some very worrying times which have led to some concerning actions J has displayed. Thankfully I liase with the school and support staff surrounding him and we are all on the same page regarding his health and wellbeing.

I have a tantalising wait as an external children's worker comes into school to help J and prepare him for the transition to secondary school.

I am nervous.

I am thankful.

I am hopeful that J will feel calmer, more confident about himself and that he can find a way to process his emotions safely and independently.

Thank goodness for Boston I mean for all his quirks he is honestly so good for J.

Just being at the yard has helped J so much. He is learning new things every day through his interactions with others. He is like a sponge absorbing information and aspiring to make his own goals achievable.

I firmly believe that animals have a healing power and would love to read more about animal therapy especially equine therapy. A while ago I purchased this book which I have yet to dive into - it's not really light bedtime reading:



Have you had an experience of animals with healing powers?

Have a great weekend.

KJB
xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Maybe he's beginning to like me" - Day 41

Good News! - Day 65

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner - Day 150