My Bipolar Bay - Day 51

I have decided that B has most definitely got Bipolar.

Now having anxiety which I know is a mental health illness I do not use the term lightly - disclaimer; I do not intend to offend anyone this is a light hearted post!

Not only is B a moody madam but he is also a scaredy cat.

Yesterday B decided to tank off from the sand paddock where I turn him out while I muck him out. I had hold of the lead rope but I was mortified since an instructor I knew was teaching in the rubber arena.

B doesn't usually tank anywhere being overweight and lazy!

Well I wasn't having any of mardy moodiness.

I told him there and then to stop and that I was walking first.

I checked him by giving a quick sharp, but not painful, tug of the leadrope.

Give him his due he stopped and listened and then followed as I walked first.

Anyway while hand-grazing him (see this blog post) as I often do these days I was telling our next door stable mate what a scaredy cat B was in that he can literally jump and spread his legs like a cat when he is spooked at something.

As we were talking one of the metal doors of the sheds clanged suddenly and B jumped out of his skin.

This gentle giant which can switch in a second to bite my head off (literally) today trotted behind me as I fetched him from the field in a bid to get away from the other horse in the field.

As if I could do anything to save him.

Look at the size of him compared to me.

It was pittch black and we were surrounded from other horses who also wanted to come in for their dinner being almost 6pm.

Now I am no expert but logically speaking I know it isn't safe to get inbetween two horses and it isn't safe to get inbetween a horse and a fence when there are other hungry horses around either.

One thing I have learnt about horse behaviour is that horses are jealous creatures. Very territorial in that if they think others are getting petted/treats/taken in for food then they will make it known to all of sundry that they are not happy.

Sometimes B wont want to come in from the field at all. This can be rather annoying when I am in a rush!

I remember that first day out when we had to walk to the bottom of the unlit field to fetch him and J was panicking thinking B had escaped or been taken.

I don't understand his behaviours though!

perhaps we haven't completely bonded yet? Afterall it hasn't even been two whole months yet.

He can nicker and call to me from his stable as I approach and let me bend and kiss his nose one day and the next min he will be snapping his head round to bite me.

Worse is when he pulls his ears back and goes for J.

J takes it all so personally and I have yet to find any consistent triggers which may be causing his switch in moods.

The vet is due soon to check B's bloods regarding his 'loose stools' which may give us an indication as to whether he is in any pain or not.

I genuinely think this pony has bipolar.

I mean we all can be a little like that sometimes can't we?!

What are your tips for desensitising a scaredy cat, regulating moodswings and your routines for getting your pesky ponies in from the field?

KJB
xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Maybe he's beginning to like me" - Day 41

Good News! - Day 65

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner - Day 150