"Horses are just for girls" - Day - 39

Today was amazing!

J groomed B and rode him semi independently in the arena. He rode with others around him and also had a go at bareback - something he has only done once and never before tried on B.







My heart melted looking at the two of them.

I had a snap shot of what lay ahead in the year to come.

It's a new year and there is lots to do. I have so many ideas and I don't know where to start. Perhaps I could start with something I have noticed.

There is a marked lack of boys at all the yards I have been to.

While I agree that some of the strongest jumpers, eventers and dressage riders have been male I feel there is a lack of encouragement for young boys.

When I tell people that J likes horse riding I am often told that "Horses are just for girls".

While I wont harp on about equal rights it saddens me that as we enter 2019 there is still this gender stereotype regarding riding at a young age.

I have also noticed that there are a lot of useful videos and information out there for teenagers (teenage girls in particular) but there are a lack of them for enthusiastic adults like myself who are novices in the equestrian world.

I'm talking about young talented equestrians who have taken to social media such as Gracie Tyte who posts on her Instagram account @Pony_Nuts who is a polite young lady journaling her equestrian lifestyle with her ponies Danny and Prince. Gracie also has a very active YouTube account of the same name. During our visit to Olympia (read about it here) we saw Pony_Nuts wondering around and she was happy to have her photo taken the kids who almost cried meeting their idol. Apparently it would be 'weird and uncool' if I were to have my picture taken with her though I value the work she puts into her edits etc.

Another youngster who has inspired myself and J is Esme. Esme is another young lady who has over 22k followers on her Instagram account @this_esme vlogs as ThisEsme on YouTube about her life with her equines Mickey, Casper and the donkeys. Esme also has guinea pigs and is popular at showing people how to muck out her stables, clean her tack room and order her matching saddle pad sets.

I wanted to make a series of helpful videos/articles, like a 'How To' series, something for us adults to learn together. While I can confidently show a non horsey person how to muck out a stable, and groom and why we do those things, there are also a lot of other things I don't know. Lot's of new words to learn, lots of things to learn how to do.

Is there anything in particular you would like to learn and perhaps I could learn it too and make a video about it?

Comment below or send me an email with your suggestions.

KJB
xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Maybe he's beginning to like me" - Day 41

Good News! - Day 65

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner - Day 150