Bareback on Boston - Day 59


Being a single parent can be difficult at times. Especially when being a single parent to a child with additional needs.

It can be tiring  frustrating, hilarious, comforting, loving, emotional and that's all before 10am!

I've been single now for 8 years and only had one serious relationship in the time which lasted for 2 years. I know my very own cowboy is out there somewhere - if you know him please pass on my details ;-)

J is still in contact with his father and on the occasisions he goes to stay with him I get to spend some quality time alone recharging my batteries.

This weekend I did just that.

I spent most of my time at the stables tidying  the shed, helping a friend move into her new shed next door to mine, and most importantly spending time with B.

Boston seemed excited to see me and even put his ears forward when I asked his permission to ride him.

I know, daft right?

It's my personal believe that we as humans are privileged to be able to ride these magnificent creatures.

Regardless of whether he understands or not he seemed happy so I was happy.

I spent time grooming him which he enjoyed thoroughly (he showed his happiness if you know what I mean) and while he was cheeky with his feet (once again) I was firm and did all 4 feet successfully.

Huzzah!

I had the help of another good friend with mounting as this is our next/on going challenge with B as he fart arses around when I bring him to the mountain block which wastes time and energy for us all.

It really tries my patience especially when J is mounting.

I have ordered a set of steps (in blue of course) to use outside his stable and we can take our time getting him used to approaching and standing next to it etc.

Alas despite that I managed to mount him and sit comfortably  - he really is like a comfy warm armchair.
I had set out some poles to practise steering and stopping square within the square and walking and trot transitions over the poles. I set our cones to and from the square down the centre line.


Routines for Balanced  Horse, horse arena routines, jec aristotle ballou, arena diamond, balanced horse, balancing your horse, horse flexion, equine sacroiliac joint, riding ground poles, dressage exercises, equine fitness
Image courtesy of Horse Journal


Routines for Balanced  Horse, horse arena routines, jec aristotle ballou, arena diamond, balanced horse, balancing your horse, horse flexion, equine sacroiliac joint, riding ground poles, dressage exercises, equine fitness
Progression practise.
I was so proud with his responses to me. He responds really well to the lighter touch which makes so glad that I have signed up to a riding for lightness online programme.

The Riding For Lightness programme focusses on 10 principles which begins on the ground-up. The ground training uses the same response and release techniques as in riding therefore helping train your horse with light aids and being prepared to apply pressure as and when needed. All to often riders apply the hardest pressure in the first instance and leave the horses not knowing what to do or how to respond with the lightest touch.

I will keep you posted with the modules and how the course progresses, which at the end of it I will receive (drum roll please) a plaque to put up on the stable door.

So excited :-)

Happy horse happy me :-)

The best view in the world :-)

Have you done any equine training (online or otherwise), what would you recommend for the novice rider?

Hope you all had a good weekend.

KJB
xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Maybe he's beginning to like me" - Day 41

Good News! - Day 65

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner - Day 150