Tears and a Vet - Day 31

Today was horrendous!

When I got to B stable and J already to ride we noticed that his rear end was running like a tap of brown murky water.

B had a serious case of diarrhoea.

This is not good for horses.

His straw was completely wet.

I asked for advice at the yard and it unanimous.

We needed a vet.

Through tears I called out as emergency the fantastic vets at the  RVC came to see B and could see the problem immediately.

I dried my tears and helped the vet steady B as he tried to take his temperature.

B didn't appreciate being prodded and poked. He reared and bucked. his adequately sized stable felt small and claustrophobic.

I feared for the vet.

I feared for me.

I feared for B.

4 things I've learned today:
1: vets use the same size thermometer on horses as they do guinea pigs.
2: B does not like the vet using any thermometer no matter how small!
3: I learnt a new word today; Colitis 😢
4: Joseph will make a great vet one day (photo of Joseph checking Boston eats all his medicine)




Colitis:
The term “colitis” is used to describe inflammation of the lining (mucosa) of the large intestine. This inflammation frequently causes diarrhoea and colic in horses, however it is important to realise that the term 'colitis' only describes a set of symptoms.

The vet does not think that the colitis is caused virally and to rule out other causes he prescribed worming medicine and codeine to help the symptoms subside.

Thankfully I ordered a Gut Balancer from Amazon which the vet said was a good idea and to continue that in B's feed (he only has one scoop of Happy Hoof twice a day with a carrot).

B is still allowed to be turned out as he isn't contagious and doesn't have a temperature.

I hope he feels better soon.

I have so many questions. Should I change feed? Has this been caused by the turn out? Change in circumstances? Richer grass? Should we ride? Can we free school? Is this why B has been biting?

Have you ever had to deal with such symptoms? Did you continue to ride?

KJB
xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Maybe he's beginning to like me" - Day 41

Good News! - Day 65

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner - Day 150